dataenc released

Yesterday I released a new version of dataenc. It’s available on Hackage of course. Summary of (visible) changes: implementation of a bunch of new encodings: xxencode quoted-printable python escaping url encoding squashing of a bug in the yEncoding implementation that only manifested on 32-bit systems an attempt to conform to the guidelines for the Haskell …

Continue reading ‘dataenc released’ »


My thoughts on debianisation of haskell packages

I have written a few posts on debianising haskell packages in the past. Back then I stopped looking at it because of the age of the ghc-related packages in Debian Sid. Things have since improved and I’ve finally found some time to revisit the problem. This isn’t however a technical post, but rather a post …

Continue reading ‘My thoughts on debianisation of haskell packages’ »


More fun with Cabal, visualising dependencies

It wasn’t why I started playing with Cabal, but after extracting dependencies from a single package I thought struck me that I could extract dependencies from many packages, e.g. hackage, and draw a dependency graph of the result. The basic idea is to use the code from my earlier post, accumulate dependency information by mapping …

Continue reading ‘More fun with Cabal, visualising dependencies’ »


Experience with cabal-debian

So, after receiving several pointers to seereason’s cabal-debian tool I thought I’d take it for a spin.i After about 30 minutes of browsing through HackageDB and seereason’s source repos, building and installing, I had finally satisfied all dependencies and the build of cabal-debian succeeded. (Oh, BTW, seereason people, it’s really confusing that you have a …

Continue reading ‘Experience with cabal-debian’ »


Building Debian packages of (cabalised) Haskell packages

I’ve just spent the last hour or so ironing out the details required to automate the building of cabalised Haskell packages for Debian. At the same time I also built Debian packages for 5 Haskell packages (test-framework and its dependencies). These are the basic steps I’ve followed: Extract the tar-ball in the working directory. Rename …

Continue reading ‘Building Debian packages of (cabalised) Haskell packages’ »