The upgrade to Gnome3 in ArchLinux a few days ago broke my previous setup that combined xmonad with Gnome. Gnome 3 has a fallback mode, but I found that the instructions for replacing metacity under Gnome 2 no longer worked. With some help from the xmonad mailing list (in particular Jens Petersen and his efforts of providing a working setup on Fedora) I now finally have a working setup again. Here’s how I did it.
Add a session file for use by Gnome Session (
[GNOME Session] Name=Xmonad session RequiredComponents=gnome-panel;gnome-settings-daemon; RequiredProviders=windowmanager;notifications; DefaultProvider-windowmanager=xmonad DefaultProvider-notifications=notification-daemon
And a desktop file for GDM (
[Desktop Entry] Name=Xmonad GNOME Comment=Tiling window manager TryExec=/usr/bin/gnome-session Exec=gnome-session --session=xmonad Type=XSession
That’s all it takes. Of course I’ve raised a ticket against the Arch package.